Pacific Northwest Architecture
Saint James Cathedral
Formerly known as Saints James and Augustine Church
Address
804 Ninth Street
Seattle, Washington 98104
Basic Information
Designed by Heins and Lafarge
Type holy place
Neighborhood: First Hill
More Information
  • Developer: Diocese of Nesqually (now the Archdiocese of Seattle)
  • While this cathedral was under construction, Saint Edward's Chapel was the seat of the bishop. Saint Edwards has since been demolished.
  • The bronze doors and the tabernacle are both by Ulrich Henn.
  • The altar was made by Neri di Bicci, of Florence in 1456.
  • The cornerstone contains a time capsule with newspapers, coins, pictures of the previous two cathedrals, and other items.
  • It is claimed that the first radio broadcast of a Catholic sermon took place at this cathedral on February 5, 1922.
  • The relics of Mother Cabrini are located beneath the altar.
  • The cathedral contains a painting by Neri di Bicci called Virgin and Child with Six Saints, painted around 1471.
  • 1903: The property for this cathedral was purchased by the Diocese of Nesqually.
  • November 13, 1904: Saint Edward's Chapen opened.
  • 1905: Construction began.
  • November 12, 1905: The cornerstone was laid.
  • September 11, 1907: The Vatican grants permission to change the name of this church from Saints James and Augustine to Saint James Cathedral.
  • December 22, 1907: The cathedral opened.
  • 1908: A screen is placed across the mouth of the cathedral dome to correct its acoustics.
  • February 2, 1916: The cathedral closed after a dome collapsed because of the weight of snow.
  • March 18, 1917: The cathedral reopened.
  • 1917-1919: Stained glass by Charles Connick was installed.
  • 1973: A deranged man vandalized the cathedral interior.
  • 1992: An arsonist cause $1 million damage to the cathedral.
  • December 22, 1994: The cathedral is rededicated.
  • 1994: Three stained glass windows by Hans Gottfried von Stockhausen were installed.
  • 1997: Archbishop Murphy becomes the first person buried in the crypt.
  • 1999: The bronze doors were installed.
  • 2003: The bronze tabernacle was installed.